UN Global Compact
United Nations Global Compact
The world's greatest initiative for sustainability in companies
Biesterfeld regards sustainability as a global issue and supports the United Nations Global Compact (UN Global Compact) – a network that was initiated by the UN to shape globalisation socially and environmentally. This includes integration of the ten principles for safeguarding human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption. Biesterfeld has been actively supporting the UN Global Compact since November 2014.
Principles of the UN Global Compact:
- Principle 1: Businesses should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights; and
- Principle 2: make sure that they are not complicit in human rights abuses.
- Principle 3: Businesses should uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining;
- Principle 4: the elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labour;
- Principle 5: the effective abolition of child labour; and
- Principle 6: the elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation.
- Principle 7: Businesses should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges;
- Principle 8: undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility; and
- Principle 9: encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies.
- Principle 10: Businesses should work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery.
An annual report, entitled "Communication On Progress" or Sustainability Report, documents compliance with the ten principles of the UN Global Compact.