DBTL and DOTL are standard tin catalysts in coatings, adhesives, sealants and elastomers based on polyurethane or MS polymer. Very often a synergistic effect with amine catalysts is used, as those promote a fast curing at the beginning. Tin catalysts, on the other hand, are responsible for effective end curing. In the case of coatings, a well chosen combination can help to control drying and transportability, for example.
In some applications there is a need for alternatives to DBTL and DOTL. Different reasons can be found for this:
- Customer specifications demand tin-free formulations,
- A better classification with regard to EH&S for the end product is necessary.
- Application related
- More reactive catalysts compared to DBTL / DOTL are needed,
- A delayed effect in curing could be helpful (pot life control).
- Catalysts that are more stable against hydrolysis are required (pot stability).
With the Kosmos® and Dabco® catalysts from Evonik, Biesterfeld can offer interesting alternatives here.
Extract from the Evonik product range:
|Kosmos T-900||Tin||Best classification regarding environmental and health hazards|
Best delayed catalysation
Most effective catalysation
Improved hydrolytic stability
Tin free, label free alternative
For CASE applications, requirements can be diversified and therefore complex. Our technical contacts will be happy to support in finding the right catalysts for you. We look forward to your message at case[at]biesterfeld[dot]com