UN Global Compact
United Nations Global Compact – the world's greatest initiative for sustainability in companies
Biesterfeld regards sustainability as a global issue and supports the United Nations Global Compact (UN Global Compact) – a network that was initiated by the UN to shape globalisation socially and environmentally. This includes integration of the ten principles for safeguarding human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption. Biesterfeld has been actively supporting the UN Global Compact since November 2014.
Principles of the UN Global Compact:
- Principle 1: Businesses should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights; and
- Principle 2: make sure that they are not complicit in human rights abuses.
- Principle 3: Businesses should uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining;
- Principle 4: the elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labour;
- Principle 5: the effective abolition of child labour; and
- Principle 6: the elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation.
- Principle 7: Businesses should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges;
- Principle 8: undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility; and
- Principle 9: encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies.
- Principle 10: Businesses should work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery.